Not a revelation, merely a reminder

Posted by EmptyShell | Posted in , , , | Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011

I'm trying desperately to write something that isn't miserable.

I read an article today about a woman who ran her car off a pier after getting into a "domestic dispute" with her husband. They pulled her minivan out of the water an hour later, with her body and the bodies of her three young children still trapped inside. While what happened to those children is terrible, it's not them that gets to me. Nor is it the father, who no doubt blames himself and who has to deal with losing his family. Although I have some sympathy for the woman, who conceived her first child at 14, she also killed her children, and therefore looses most of her sympathy points. 

The one I feel for is the other child. The oldest at ten years, he pulled himself out of the car and ran for help. At ten years old, to have to have your mother try to kill you, to have to flee, leaving your family behind, to lose 3 siblings and a parent in one swift moment. To spend the rest of your life dealing with the implications, that is what gets me.

I wish him the strength to move forward, and to become a stronger person then his parents.

When I heard this, I thought to myself that the next time I heard some one bitching about how terrible their life was, I would tell them this story. I didn't realize at the time that that person would be me. (The first draft of this post was quite negative)

And really, my life isn't so terrible. My parents have never tried to kill me. Although my relationships with them could be more positive, I have most of my family somewhat in my life. Sometimes I wish I was alone, but I should appreciate the fact that I have people who want to live with me, and who make me accountable. Without them there would be no one to keep me in check and I probably wouldn't be here to write this.

My problems are my own responsibility and my own fault and it is up to me to fix them. No one is going to do it for me. More importantly, no one should.

I'll probably be back for more bitching tomorrow, and all this grand talk rarely translates to effective action, but it's nice to think about.

Comments (2)

Hi, I wasn't sure which blog to leave a comment on. Is this the right one? o.O PLEASE let me know, ok?

Thank you for your input on the Serious Question. Sadly the guys in question DID come across a drunk chick and proceeded to get her even more intoxicated so she would be more. . . pliable. Tosser.

Wow, that poor kid. I hope he grows up the bear the scars with honour, and not let them cripple his growth towards the sun. While my mother never outright tried to kill me, she certainly stood back and then defended the person who tried to.

Hope you're having a good week. I really want to follow your blog now, it seems you'll have some interesting things to rant about at times. Please let me know which of your blogs I should stalk ;)

<3

Wow, this story really helped put some things in perspective for me. I’ve been feeling kind of low lately and reading about what that poor kid had to go through lets me know that my life could be a hell of a lot worse. I’m sure that I too will go back to complaining about my life tomorrow, but thanks for helping me see that my life isn’t as bad as it seems right now.

About Me

My photo
Where emotions should be, there is only the quiet sense of distance. I shall remain unaffected in times of crisis, calm or caring. This is not a choice, but I am strangely okay with that. What else is there to say really? It's all been said before. We are not unique and delicate snowflakes. Even that is not an original thought. (brownie points for getting the reference) Maybe one day I will have something interesting to say here but the fact of the matter is, if you really want to know, read the blog. Or ask. Whatever.